also called Ts'ai-tien , Pinyin Hanyang , or Caidian urban area and industrial city in Hupeh Province (sheng), central China. Located on the right bank of the Han Shui (river) at its confluence with the Yangtze,opposite Han-k'ou, it is the westernmost of the three cities of the Wu-han (q.v.) conurbation (Han-k'ou, Han-yang, Wu-ch'ang). Han-yang was founded under the Sui dynasty (AD 581–618) but was of little importance until modern times. In the early 1900s it became the site of China's first modern iron- and steelworks and was, in addition, a key arsenal city. Han-yang was occupied by the Japanese in 1938–45 andpassed to Communist control in 1949.